Monday, May 17, 2010

Ukiyoe-Printing using a Vandercook Press

Printmaker Mark Herschede:
"A brief runthrough of the process I'm using right now to make a bank of images using woodcuts. By using tools which are not normally associated with one another, I've been working towards experimenting with mixing processes. Currently I'm researching the technical aspects of printing water based, japanese style woodblock printing on a vandercook through testing and manipulation of the materials involved." "It is my hope to be scoffed at by Japanese moku-hanga printers and letterpress typesetting nerds alike. Please! Feel free to insult my experiments! (Or offer constructive criticism ;-) )! Get angry at my usage of a type proving press to print 'cuts'; become enraged at my seemingly smashing attempts at printing lovingly hand-inked blocks!"

For more info on Mark's experiments visit the links below.

Ukiyo-E printing on a Vandercook proofing press- a quick runthrough from Mark Herschede on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment